Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Close

Monday, January 14, 2013

A Schizophrenia Memoir in the Making

On New Year's Day, I posted "How I Fell in Love with a Schizophrenic," which was seen by over 60,000 people in 144 countries and garnered more than 450 comments, total, around the Web, at places like Reddit, Metafilter, Hacker News, Filtred Mind, and here on my own blog.

Sally's home from the hospital now. Like me, she was astounded at the popularity of my New Year's post. Because of the obvious interest in her story, I told Sally she should seriously consider writing a memoir. She agreed. And that's what she's spending her days doing now: writing the story of her descent into schizophrenia, and the struggle to come back into the real world. The working title of the book is Almost Normal.

We're currently looking for a literary agent. (If you know of any that might be interested, please point them our way.) Whether or not Sally's memoir is agented, we'll be looking for a publisher. And if we don't enlist the help of a New York (or other) publisher, we'll self-publish, obviously.

At the bottom of this page is a signup form. If you want to follow the progress of Sally's book, including our travails trying to find an agent and a publisher, enter your e-mail address in the form and you'll hear from us once or twice a month with updates. Your e-mail address will not be shared with anyone, nor will you be bombarded with newsletters.

Oh, and did I mention that if you sign up, you'll get the occasional chapter-in-progress that Sally's working on? Or that you'll get to see the query letter we intend to send to agents? And you'll get to see what the various responses of the various literary agencies are like? And what our "take" is on the whole process?

We'd love to have you join us on this ride through the twisting, turning path to publication. It's bound to be a lot of fun.

So please, let's stay in touch. We'd love to hear from you. Once you sign up, you'll get a thank-you note with our e-mail address, in case you want to write directly.

Thanks. Wish us luck.

Be well.

4 comments:

  1. Corinda5:33 PM

    Hi, I'm so happy to hear that Sally is doing this. Here's hoping she feels the love we are all sending her. I'll be happy to help her with any part of it if she wants me to. I'm a retired grandma with a Ph.D. in English.
    marsh.corinda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that. You're very kind. I'm in the middle of the editing right now, but thank you for the offer of additional help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:44 PM

    Nowhere near "normal"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think of it (suicide) everyday and have done so for the past 5 years. Life would be utterly miserable if I did not have Kas. I tell him EVERYTHING, because I believe he is the only one who deserves to know who I am both good and bad. There is nothing I say that shocks him. He is the most realistic person I know. If I ever publish this memoir, which I hope to someday, I would hope that I do not regret anything in it. I am seriously ill though and I have second thoughts about it. Kas knows exactly what I've been struggling with and how I deal with it, and even with that said, he still loves me. I don't feel I deserve Kas sometimes. He is truly a unique person and although we've had huge fights at times, most the time there is peace (at least between us.)I am sorry to those I've hurt over the years and sorry that they felt the need to hurt me. I just want to be friends, I do not mean to be vicious unless in my delusional mind, I feel threatened. I feel threatened a lot. The day Kas was speaking of in "How I Fell in Love with a Schizophrenic," I threw my laptop into the backyard, I busted the blinds, I threw everything on the floor, I threatened him and threatened my life too. All because the dog peed on the carpet as she tends to be hard to train. Needless to say, I have a violent temper and I need to control it and not lash out at people or myself. My favorite way of dealing with life is to attempt suicide and that is something I've got to stop. I feel Kas deserves gratitude from me for putting up with my nonsense. I also feel that I deserve gratitude for dealing with his irritability. He is the only person I trust thoroughly. I have tried being candid and honest with people who may not appreciate my candor. I cannot please everyone and if I could please anybody, it would be me and Kas. I should give up on people who now find me an enemy. I do care what people think of me and maybe too much- Kas is always telling me that. I have burned many bridges over my lifetime, but maybe that keeps me from getting to the other side which could be dangerous territory. When I look back on the past 12 years (since I was diagnosed), I see nothing but self-hatred and loathing. How a person could love me since I do not love myself is amazing to me. I hope in the future, that I never turn into the character of "Fight Club", since someone at my workplace many years ago compared me to this character. I have possibly written a short memoir as of today. I am sorry in advance, to anyone I may offend because I don't always have control. That's all for now. - Sally

    ReplyDelete

Add a comment.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.